Thursday 16 May 2013

Firestorm Lorraine - Turn One, Game Three - CounterAttack

Continuing our Firestorm Campaign, Brett and I pressed on with our third game...

Brett had won the initiative after the last game and would become the attacker... and chose to attack with his forces to A4 from A3 Luxembourg that he had previously captured. This would mean an attack across the Moselle River, which would mean some bonus field fortifications for the German defenders...

Brett chose to attack with an American Armoured Rifle company (Confident Trained), and I chose to defend with PanzerGrenadiers (Reluctant Trained).

Brett had some Firestorm troops; heavy artillery battery (proxied by Long toms) and AirSupport - Priority. As Brett has Air support we rolled on the weather effect chart, getting a 6 meaning clear skies, curses!

I also had some Firestorm troops - an infantry platoon of variable quality - I rolled a 5 which meant they were Confident Veterans.

Knowing before hand we were playing across the River, I set to making another bridge for my set up 2 days before the game and managed to have it done in time, giving me a modern style bridge with girders newly completed, and a rustic stone bridge and a ford to cross the river satisfying the 3 crossing points required...

On Brett's arrival we rolled the mission, getting Counter Attack, put the river down the middle nominally through no mans land and quickly placed the surrounding terrain. The small hills were classed as "Rises", so block LOS as any other high ground , but classed as Cross Country for movement.

Forces are 1250pts, plus Firestorm troops.

Brett had brought (IIRC...)
HQ- 2 x Rifle teams
2 Armoured Rifle platoons with half tracks
Heavy artillery 155mm (proxied by Long Toms) [FS]
Medium artillery 105mm (proxied by Romulan cloaked stealth bases!)
Tank destroyer platoon; Security section, plus 2 teleporting M10s
Recce platoon with jeeps and armoured cars
Half track Mortar platoon
Half track HMG platoon
Priority Air [FS]
... I think that was it but I get a bit confused looking over all Bretts Yanks, he seems to deploy a veritable parking lot of armour, and its all festooned with those darn 50cals...

I had:
HQ -  2 x SMG 'faust
2 full PanzerGrens with 'faust
1 full PanzerGrens with 'faust (Con vet) [FS]
1 full Pioneers with supply wagon, and 3 flamethrowers
1 x Heavy platoon - 4 x HMG & 2 x 8cm mortars
4 x 2cm AAA (proxied by static launchers)
3 x PaK40
4 x 12cm heavy mortars
4 x PzIV J
2 x Marder IIIM

I placed the 3 trench lines I had covering the left and centre bridges, gapped by the wood, and put an HMG Nest covering these two approaches. I deployed 3 barbed wire sections thanks to the pioneers, covering my side of the three river crossing points...
I then deployed pioneers in the trench lines, backed up by the AAA, Mortars and heavy platoon, and Pak40s in ambush... The heavy platoon was tasked with trying to get to the second exposed objective before it could be claimed by the yanks... if they could get into position with their 4 HMGs they may be able to chuck out enough def fire to throw the Yanks back into the river...

I felt very thin on the ground...I had two mobile platoons to come on, and three infantry platoons who would have to foot slog all the way to the objectives from the opposite table corner to my deployment area... Thank the Gods I had the defences and barbed wire... but that would also impede my own reserves helping me!

So the game gets under way, Brett making a recce move, and then pushing up with one armoured rifles to the modern bridge to attempt a river crossing here with half track 50cal support from the bridge, backed up by mortars firing direct smoke... The 2nd armoured rifles raced (ATDing) for the other exposed objective looking to ford  a quick crossing to claim the exposed objective...

 This tempting target would also attract my pak40 ambush, which would then leave his main assault unmolested...

Smoke and fire covers the German front line to pin and cover the HMG nest and pioneers overlooking the modern bridge.... The recce zoom out looking to make a break for the far ford crossing, only to realise their wheeled vehicles cannot cross the barbed wire at all! The 2nd rifles reach the mid river bank at breakneck speed...


Smoke covers the German lines

Brett even had some dingies for the water crossing - how cool is that!?...

Dingies at the ready for the crossing

Brett's first round of artillery fire , HMGs and planes also manage to pin the pioneers, mortars and AAA, though causes little actually damage other than a 12cm mortar and a AAA gun...

Can the Germans hold on? Heavy platoon poised for a dash to far objective.

The Germans unleash their Pak ambush, (having got no reserves in the first turn),  and fail to unpin everything, reluctant you know?

The pak40s let rip but only destroy 2 half tracks and killing a few teams... from the centre rifle platoon...

The rest of the pioneers and a pak40, shoot up the HMG platoon destroying a half track and killing all the HMG teams on the opposite riverbank...

Paks Ambush

We remember the red dots, dead mortar and AAA gun...

Initial German casualties and pinned platoons

... and dead HMG platoon across the river...

a little bit of payback to the Yank HMGs

Brett has made it across the river and reached the near bank but still faces the HMG nest and pioneers in trenches... The planes swoop in also and murder the heavy platoon trying to get to the 2nd objective... leaving it undefended...

Yanks force a crossing, half tracks with 50cals supporting dingies across the river

The German panzers arrive and are faced with a dilemma... destroy the tank destroyer security section thus forcing their ambush, or see to the remaining infantry looking to force a crossing on the exposed objective... as much as I wanted to kill the potential teleporting M10 threat, the poised infantry were the most dangerous threat and one I could kill as they weren't dug in... a blaze of tank MG fire ripped into the Yanks on the river bank killing all but 2 teams who broke and fled! This stopped the attack on this flank, with only 2 M10s (yet to be revealed) able to cross the barbed wire. I felt I was sacrificing my Panzers to the M10s to do this though... However I got lucky and passed a stormtrooper test to get most of my panzers back behind the flank woods... though one bogged entering the woods...

 Brett then used his recce command team to call in heavy artillery on the panzers, destroying one and bailing another.... and pushed up an armoured car for a flank shot on the panzers in the wood, but missed...

The Germans got more reserves, getting the Marders and ConVet infantry... The infantry moved to assault the armoured car in the woods, the Marders moved to shoot up the tank destroyer security section as the remaining panzers moved out from behind the wood to do the same... on other flank, some teams unpinned eventually allowing the AAA to move closer to defend the objective, the mortars were out of it, never managing to unpin after the first hit artillery hit. but the pioneers were able to push over to the reinforce against the the main Yank thrust... the Paks had previously been knocked out by direct fire from medium artillery battery and other weight of massed fire from the Yanks on my left... I felt I was hanging on by my finger nails here but thankfully the HMG nest still had not been knocked out but continually pinned and smoked turn after turn...

The panzers and Marders combined to kill the security section and the infantry assaulted and killed the armoured car in the woods... as below pic... red dots where the Yanks were mown down by the panzers MG fire...

The other flank hots up, the security section is destroyed...

Brett's turn 5 and time is running out on the game, we've just about played 3 hours and its near 10pm and a work day tomorrow... Brett goes for it with infantry, its a do or die assault time...

Its do or die time for the Yanks, the assault is set up, but the HMG nest isn't pinned

The M10s pop up and wreck a Marder...  More Heavy artillery is called in on the panzers but they manage to only suffer a bail... The planes are shot down again, causing zero damage...

...Even with security section destroyed I can't get close enough to stop the M10s teleporting in...

Brett goes for the assault but this time has failed to pin the HMG nest though has smoked it... but there is enough defensive fire to force back Brett's assault from the HMG nest and pioneers in the trench line to throw back Brett's assault, and at this point he calls it...

As the defender in this mission I auto-win if the attacker fails to capture an objective, I have lost 2 platoons but started with 10 so the game is scored a 5-2 to the Germans. Who'd have thought it?

In retrospect, I think I should have left the Heavy Mortars off in reserve, and deployed another infantry platoon to back up my initial defense. I could then also maybe have thought about attaching out the elements of the Heavy platoon...

I think the best thing I did was shoot up the Yank infantry with the panzers, as without that, they would have been across the river with nothing I could do about it, and as it lucked out, the panzers stayed alive too...

To Brett's credit he kept pushing the situation, even if he only realised how the barbed wire was going to inhibit his troops, after he had deployed and started moving towards it! And quite frankly I felt he was still going to force the situation with his main thrust, but I was pleasantly surprised how my thin line managed to hold out... I just didn't die enough to leave a gap Brett could exploit... My Pioneers were golden, remembering to bring their barbed wire to the party! Definitely a man of the match award ;-)

I think the mantra now is, never leave home without some pioneers!

So this puts Brett back into Luxembourg. No territory lost but none gained either. I won the roll off for initiative for the next game and thus become the attacker. The campaign special rules force me to continue attacking with the Panzer Firestorm troops I have, currently in B3 (Mairy). Do I attack Luxembourg to reclaim it and stabilise the line? Or do I attack B2 (Belgium) to cut off Luxembourg, forcing Brett to suffer Out of Supply conditions in Luxembourg, hopefully making it easier for me to attack at a later time? Or do I try and capture B2 (Verdun) and the 80 campaign victory points it would give me for the city and the bonus 100 campaign points for doing the same? But of course this then produces a thrust to which its flanks could be vulnerable... decisions, decisions!

The only thing we still have to do is work out whether any Firestorm troops were captured after the game...

Stay tuned for more drama...


3 comments:

  1. POST Script note: We realised after the game we had deployed the fortifications wrong. These should have been set up as a 'Strongpoint', so the 3 trench sections and 2 x HMG Nests within a 12" area, and one infantry platoon assigned to it as a 'Fortified Platoon'.
    We'll know better for next time.
    We are treating this campaign as a learning process...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice AAR.

    I do love the Firestorm series, I'll keep an eye out for the rest of the games.

    Ben

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ben, this has been great little intro into the Firestorm campaign series, such that I look forward to trying out Market Garden and Bagration sets.

      I hope they do more of these smaller settings too in the future.

      Delete